Noel is the chair of Procopio’s Medical Technology Practice Group. Noel regularly assists clients with strategic patent portfolio development and implementation so as to protect their technology and help them achieve their business objectives. This process includes developing claim strategies that create market barriers and protect or create revenue streams, as well as preparing and prosecuting US and foreign Patent Applications. Noel has extensive experience in dealing with telecommunications companies, especially wireless telecommunications companies, wireless health, health IT, medical device companies, clean tech and software/Internet companies. For example, Noel has helped clients build portfolios and protect or build market positions in the areas of wireless sensors for health applications, smart grids, semiconductor memories, lab and chip technology and energy efficient data storage.
In addition to his extensive legal experience, Noel has also served as Senior Design Engineer and Product Team leader for Sony Digital Telecommunications of America in San Diego, where he was responsible for the comprehensive baseband design for several CDMA handsets that used the latest Qualcomm Mobile Station Modem (MSM) chipsets. He received extensive training in CDMA and wireless communication technology and his design responsibilities fell under the areas of microprocessor circuits, audio circuits, power management circuits and user interfaces such as keypads and LCDs. Prior to this, he was a Design Engineer and Product Team Leader at Cubic Defense Systems in San Diego, where he was responsible for the design and testing of several portable electronic systems. Noel successfully managed a team of engineers in the completion of Cubic’s Manworn Laser Detection System, which was part of the MILES 2000 product line, an optical communication system. Noel’s design responsibilities on the product included the areas of optical communications, ASICs, microprocessor circuits, user interfaces and power management. He also served as an expert judge for Forbes 2009 America's Most Promising Companies.
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, cum laude
- BS (Electrical Engineering), San Diego State University
- The Daily Transcript's Top Attorneys – 2009-2010 (IP Transactional)
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Association of Corporate Counsel, San Diego Chapter – Clean Tech Sub Group Liaison
- BIOCOM – Medical Device Group Co-Chair
- CommNexus – Wireless Healthcare SIG Co-Chair
- San Diego Volunteer Law Program – HIV/AIDS Legal Clinic Volunteer
- The San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- The State Bar of California
Recent News Coverage
- “Procopio Moves to New Space in Del Mar Heights,” Procopio Press Release, July 10, 2012.
- "SVForum Health Tech Conference," DJCline, May 16, 2012.
- “Procopio Further Expands with Addition of Silicon Valley Office,” Procopio Press Release, February 21, 2012.
- Thomas, Gregory. “Inventor Behind Patents In Ringback-Tone Lawsuits: ‘I Don’t Know The Details, I Just Invent Shit,’” The Patent Examiner, November 3, 2011.
- Panelist. "Dealing with IOT Data - Security, Privacy and Ownership," The Silent Intelligence, San Diego, CA, February 25, 2015.
- Panelist. “Local Company Delivers A Partnering Pitch,” The Tenth Annual Biotechnology Entrepreneurship Boot Camp, San Diego, CA, June 23, 2014.
- “Advancements in Wireless Health: What the Future Holds,” CommNexus Healthcare Communications SIG, San Diego, CA, February 12, 2013.
- “Revolutionizing the Practice of Medicine: a look at how MD Revolution and its technology partners have created the medical practice of the future, today,” CommNexus Healthcare Communications SIG, San Diego, CA, June 19, 2012.
- “Traps for the Unwary in Licensing, Collaboration and Strategic Partnerships,” Procopio and SV Forum, Palo Alto, CA, June 13, 2012.
- “Creating Value with Patents: How to Develop a Patent Portfolio and Strategy That Effectively Communicates the Company’s Value to Investors, Partners and Competitors,” Procopio and SV Forum, Palo Alto, CA, June 13, 2012.
- “IP & Employment Matters - Common, Costly Mistakes for Start-up Entrepreneurs to Avoid,” Procopio and SV Forum, Palo Alto, CA, May 22, 2012.
- "The Changing Investment Landscape & Business Models in Health: Latest Trends & How Innovators can Create Value and Differentiate," SV Forum Health Tech Conference: New Technologies & Business Models for Health, Redwood City, CA, May 16, 2012.
- “M2M Opportunities and Challenges in Healthcare,” CommNexus Healthcare Communications Special Interest Group (SIG), San Diego, CA, March 8, 2012.
- “Personalized Medicine: How Genomics and Wireless Technologies are Making Healthcare More Predictive, Preventive, Personalized and Participatory,” CommNexus Healthcare Communications Special Interest Group (SIG), San Diego, CA, January 24, 2012.