Kam W. Li focuses his practice on litigation and transactional work in the areas of banking and financial institutions, intellectual property, unfair competition laws, international transactions, Native American issues, and related litigation. He assists a wide range of U.S. and international clients with due diligence in property transactions, as well as intellectual property strategies, protection and licensing, commercial transactions, deployment of intellectual capital, and strategic partnering relationships. Mr. Li's clients include major financial institutions, regulatory agencies, and multinational corporations and institutions in the U.S. and overseas.
Mr. Li is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of California, the United States Federal Courts and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He is also a registered professional engineer in the State of California. Before his legal career, he was an engineer involved in technology development in the energy field.
- Strategic planning for the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights for U.S. and international clients.
- Manage teams of foreign associates and use of proprietary technology in the execution of client’s Global IPR enforcement strategy focusing on China (administrative and judicial enforcement and raids and customs seizures against counterfeiters and infringers).
- Counsel clients in international project and deal financing and access to capital market including IPO in China.
- Counsel clients in partnering negotiations, technology acquisition, licensing, joint research, development and outsourcing production and distribution relationships for clients in the U.S., China, and other countries.
- Successful litigation in obtaining a seven-figure jury verdict on behalf of a hotel owner against its former operator and successful defense against the cross-complaint by the defendant operator.
- Due diligence in examining multi-billion dollar loan portfolios for professional liability and advising institution on remedies and actions to recover.
- Representation of a client in a $115 million hotel acquisition and renovation project, hotel operating agreement and negotiation of $225 million financing facilities.
- Counseling clients on various business enterprises, including technologies, intellectual property, boxing promotion, advertising, marketing and cash flow management with third party service providers.
- Representing trademark and Internet business owner in a breach of fiduciary duty and trademark infringement claims; obtaining injunction in a trademark infringement lawsuit against unauthorized use of the client's trademark on the Internet with infringer settling and agreeing to pay compensation in damages and attorney's fees.
- Representing a patent holder and its exclusive licensee in a jury trial and obtaining damages and permanent injunction against the infringer.
- Litigation and enforcement of trademark rights of U.S. clients against infringement and counterfeiting activities in the Far East.