Kam W. Li focuses his practice on litigation and transactional work in the areas of intellectual property rights, unfair competition laws, international transactions, Native American issues, banking and financial institutions, and related litigation. He assists a wide range of U.S. and international clients with due diligence in property transactions, as well as intellectual property strategies, protection and licensing, commercial transactions, deployment of intellectual capital, and strategic partnering relationships. Mr. Li's clients include major financial institutions, regulatory agencies, and multinational corporations and institutions in the U.S. and overseas. He is the named inventor of an innovative, patent pending system, which provides highly efficient and cost-effective solutions with multi-language support for the investigation and enforcement actions against IPR violations on Chinese Internet trade portals.
Mr. Li is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of California, the United States Federal Courts and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He is also a registered professional engineer in the State of California. Before his legal career, he was an engineer involved in technology development in the energy field.
- Multiple on-going protection and enforcement actions of intellectual property rights for U.S. and international clients.
- Successful prosecution of administrative and criminal enforcement actions against counterfeiters resulting in seizure of substantial quantities of counterfeits and criminal convictions of Chinese counterfeits. In one action, case was cited by the China Quality Brand Protection Committee as one of the top ten model cases of IPR enforcement in China for 2013-2014.
- Successful on-going enforcement actions against IPR abuses on top Chinese Internet trade portals on behalf of clients with innovative, proprietary technology resulting in the removal of over 9.5 cans of counterfeit products valued at over $12 million; success rate over 98% over an 18-month period.
- Assist clients in the execution of their Global IPR enforcement strategy focusing on China (administrative and judicial enforcement and raids and customs seizures against counterfeiters and infringers).
- Counsel clients in international project and deal financing and access to capital market including IPO in China.
- Counsel clients in partnering negotiations, technology acquisition, licensing, joint research, development and outsourcing production and distribution relationships for clients in the U.S., China, and other countries.
- Successful litigation in obtaining a seven-figure jury verdict on behalf of a hotel owner against its former operator and successful defense against the cross-complaint by the defendant operator.
- Due diligence in examining multi-billion dollar loan portfolios for professional liability and advising institution on remedies and actions to recover.
- Representation of a client in a $115 million hotel acquisition and renovation project, hotel operating agreement and negotiation of $225 million financing facilities.
- Counseling clients on various business enterprises, including technologies, intellectual property, boxing promotion, advertising, marketing and cash flow management with third party service providers.
- Representing trademark and Internet business owner in a breach of fiduciary duty and trademark infringement claims; obtaining injunction in a trademark infringement lawsuit against unauthorized use of the client's trademark on the Internet with infringer settling and agreeing to pay compensation in damages and attorney's fees.
- Representing a patent holder and its exclusive licensee in a jury trial and obtaining damages and permanent injunction against the infringer.
- Litigation and enforcement of trademark rights of U.S. clients against infringement and counterfeiting activities in the Far East.