Jacob C. Reinbolt is a member of the firm's intellectual property team and served as team leader from 2001 to 2006. His practice emphasizes computer law, intellectual property (trademark, copyright, trade secret, and patent), Internet law, licensing, entertainment, publishing, the arts, advertising, securities law, franchising, corporate law, and mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Reinbolt has particular ability in the needs of software, technology, and emerging and rapidly growing companies.
Mr. Reinbolt was Special Outside Legal Counsel for the City of San Diego for Intellectual Property, Internet, and E-Government matters from 2001-2003.
- Extensive patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret protection and litigation practice.
- Represents numerous software developers, licensors, and licensees, and all types of high technology companies, in development, technical assistance, support, enhancement, distribution, OEM, VAR, escrow, and marketing agreements.
- Extensive Internet and Web 2.0 law practice, including preparation of all agreements for Web site development and use, access, services, licensing, and electronic commerce; domain name disputes; and joint ventures.
- Sophisticated licensing practice for all types of licensable subject matter.
- Litigation regarding patent, trademark, and copyright infringement; trade secret misappropriation; unfair competition; the rights of publicity and privacy; and defamation (libel and slander).
- Prepares private placement memoranda for raising capital in compliance with Regulation D and other private offering exemptions.
- Regularly engaged in angel and venture capital investment transactions.
- Represents buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions.
- Sophisticated business planning and structuring practice (C and S corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships).
- Represented NYSE, American Stock Exchange, and NASDAQ-listed companies in offerings of stock and convertible debentures.
Mr. Reinbolt has published over 40 articles and manuscripts on intellectual property, licensing, corporate law, computer law, advertising and Internet Law, including Chapter 2 ("The Business Plan") and Chapter 12 ("Intellectual Property Protection") of the California Continuing Education of the Bar's 3-volume Financing & Protecting California Businesses, published in 1997, 1999, and 2001-2007.
Recent News Coverage
- "Top Lawyers 2013,” San Diego Magazine, March 2013.
- “27 Procopio Attorneys Named San Diego Super Lawyers®,” Procopio Press Release, June 15, 2010.
- “Five From Procopio Named ‘Top Attorneys’ by The Daily Transcript,” Procopio Press Release, July 8, 2009.
- “26 Procopio Attorneys Named San Diego Super Lawyers®,” Procopio Press Release, June 3, 2009.
- Burge, Michael. "City in legal fight over golf course name," San Diego Union-Tribune, July 10, 2008.
- “24 Procopio Attorneys Named ‘Super Lawyers’,” Procopio Press Release, May 21, 2007.
- Stevens-Huffman, Leslie. “Strategic Licensing of Intellectual Property: How Licensing Can Be A Competitive Advantage In Your Business," Smart Business Network Inc., February 2007.
Recent Speeches and Seminars
- "Copyright Law: The least you need to know," Carlsbad Business Journal, February 2009.
- "Intellectual Property as Intellectual Capital: How to Maximize the Value of Your IP," Inside the Minds: Maximizing Intellectual Property Value: Leading Lawyers on Leveraging Your IP Portfolio, Negotiating IP Transactions, and Creating Intellectual Capital, Aspatore Books, June 2007.
- "The Business Plan, and Intellectual Property Protection," Financing & Protecting New Businesses, California Continuing Education of the Bar, 1997, 1999, and 2001-2007, Chapter 2 and 12.
- "Licensing: What You Need to Know," CONNECT, San Diego, CA, December 7, 2006.