Ernest Huang’s practice focuses on the preparation and prosecution of patent applications in a broad range of technology areas in the electrical, mechanical, and computer arts. Mr. Huang has experience prosecuting applications directed to semiconductor manufacturing and design, digital circuit design, connectors, PCB design, and storage media (including HDD recording methods and component design). He has also prosecuted applications in data storage and migration architectures, encryption schemes, various software algorithms and applications, and wireless transmission protocols.
Prior to joining Procopio, Mr. Huang was an associate at Sughrue Mion PLLC.
- Filed and prosecuted patent applications from initial filing to allowance/abandonment, including conducting examiner and inventor interviews, drafting patent applications and responses to office actions in a variety of technology areas, including semiconductors (wafer manufacturing, circuit design, etc.), software encryption schemes, and other electrical and software technologies.
- Corresponded with foreign associates for applications filed domestically from foreign clients and abroad for domestic clients, including prosecution of PCT applications and overseeing applications filed abroad. Drafted domestic applications to conform with both USPTO and JPO requirements.
- Conducted export control analysis for potential invention disclosures on request of clients to ascertain need for export control licenses.
- Corresponded with managers of large Japanese companies on different intellectual property issues, from patent law to assisting in creating cohesive intellectual property strategies to identify patentable technology areas, including opinion work and due diligence. Partially conducted in Japanese.
Mr. Huang has given educational seminars to engineers and researchers of client companies in regards to patent law, general patent procedures, and invention disclosers. He has also presented a patent boot camp for in-house counsel with regards to the various aspects of patent prosecution.
Recent News Coverage
- Frisch, Randy. “The Business of Law,” San Diego Business Journal, December 17, 2012.
- Sherwin, Doug. “Law Briefs,” The Daily Transcript, November 28, 2012.
- Scurria, Andrew. “Procopio Hires 5 IP Pros to Plant Flag in Silicon Valley,” Law 360, November 27, 2012.
- “Procopio adds 5 Silicon Valley attorneys,” The Daily Transcript, November 26, 2012.
- “Procopio Continues to Grow – Expands in Silicon Valley," Legal Netlink Alliance, November 26, 2012.
- “Procopio Continues to Grow, Expands in Silicon Valley,” Procopio Press Release, November 26, 2012.
- "Top Technology Innovations of this Decade and Next,” Silicon Valley Taiwanese American Industrial Technology Association News, Issue 006, Winter 2009.
- “Avoiding Potential Patent Pitfalls for Startups and IPOs,” Silicon Valley Taiwanese American Industrial Technology Association News, Issue 005, Fall 2009.
- “Protecting Your Intellectual Property: Part II: Developing Leveraging the Patent Portfolio with a Shoestring Budget,” Silicon Valley Taiwanese American Industrial Technology Association News, Issue 004, Summer 2009.
- “Protecting Your Intellectual Property: Part I: Developing Your Patent Portfolio with a Shoestring Budget,” Silicon Valley Taiwanese American Industrial Technology Association News, Issue 003, Spring 2009.