Tina Safi Felahi provides legal counsel to health care organizations including hospitals, medical groups, non-physician medical practitioners, ancillary and alternative medicine services providers, and medical device companies on a broad range of health care topics.
She advises medical staffs on credentialing and privileging decisions, providing assistance with investigations and reviews of practitioner clinical and behavioral issues, as well as representation throughout the judicial review hearing process.
Tina also provides compliance guidance to health care providers, including local health care district hospitals, hospices, Tribal health clinics, specialty laboratories, medical groups and other providers, as well as health plans on a range of state and federal laws and regulations, including corporate practice of medicine, privacy (including HIPAA), Medicare and Medicaid overpayment and fraud, waste and abuse (FWA) laws (including the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute).
Tina’s practice includes representation of providers and managed care plans in a broad spectrum of civil litigation, including Health and Safety Code section 1278.5 retaliation cases, as well as federal and state civil false claims investigations and qui tam actions.
Prior to joining Procopio, Tina’s practice focused on the defense of professional liability and medical malpractice matters. Tina provided legal advice on various matters related to malpractice and managed civil litigation cases from inception through trial.
- Successfully defended a medical clinic, electrophysiologist, and nurse practitioner in malpractice case, and received a defense verdict after approximately 90 minutes of jury deliberations.
- Defended oral surgeon against allegations of fraudulent misconduct and prevailed in dismissing claim for punitive damages.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Louis M. Welsh Inn of Court
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- San Diego County Bar Association
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, 2014 (San Diego International Law Journal – Member and Comments Editor)
- BS (Journalism), Boston University College of Communications, 2008
- Co-author. “The Confidentiality of Drug and Alcohol Records in Part 2 Programs,” July 1, 2019.