1117 S California Ave, Suite 200
Palo Alto, CA 94304-1106
S. Michael Lee has extensive civil and criminal jury trial experience, including federal jury trials in trade secrets and violation of fiduciary duty. Michael investigated and litigated patent, trade secrets, violation of contract disputes, and civil regulatory violations (representing the corporation) in California state court. He is also experienced in white collar crime and has litigated regulatory cases including investigations, filings, case management conferences, and mediations. An expert in search and seizure law, search warrants, and the California Electronics Communications Privacy Act (CalECPA), Michael has substantial experience in every stage of criminal prosecution. He has tried over 47 civil and criminal jury trials. Michael is a former member of the High Technology Crime Investigation Association (HTCIA).
S. Michael Lee has represented the State of California on a wide variety of regulatory matters.
- “Slack-Fill” by a major national manufacturer of cleaning products regarding the under-filling of bottles.
- Illegal “RoboCalls” and false advertisement by a Silicon Valley internet company that provided customer reviews of businesses.
- Prop 65 violations including lead-laced toys and the lack of required signage by an Asia-based retailer doing business in California for the first time.
- False advertisement regarding a back-stretching machine sold by a chiropractic supplies vendor.
- False print advertisement by a major national retailer prosecuted jointly with the San Diego DA’s Office. Deceptive advertisements: print was too small on exceptions and prices were deceptively advertised.
- False advertisement by an elder care facility. Issues included franchisor liability (piercing the corporate veil).
- Dietary Supplement Task Force: Member of a multi-jurisdictional task force assigned to regulate dietary supplement companies engaging in false or misleading labeling/advertisements.
- Recommended by Stanford Law School to be the first Prosecutor Fellow at the South Korean Ministry of Justice Legal Research and Training Institute in 2010; advised the Korean government in its implementation of a jury trial system.
- Santa Clara County Bar Association - President-Elect - 2019
- Silicon Valley Korean School - Chairman of the Board - 2014 - Present
- Santa Clara County Bar Association - Treasurer and Executive Committee Member - 2018
- Member, Korean American Bar Association at Silicon Valley
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- JD, University of San Diego
- BA with Honors, University of California, Berkeley
- YTN News Interview of S. Michael Lee during his Fellowship at the South Korean Ministry of Justice Legal Research and Training Institute.
- Panelist, “Leader Create More Leaders,” California Minority Counsel Program MCLE, San Jose, CA, April 10, 2019.
- Organizer, “Implicit Bias in Employment Law,” Santa Clara Bar Association MCLE, San Jose, CA, September 13, 2019.
- Organizer, “Implicit Bias - Within You and Within Institutions,” Santa Clara Bar Association MCLE, San Jose, CA, August 24, 2017.
- “Building A Community,” Santa Clara County Bar Association Blog, May 1, 2019.
- “Korean Connections: An International Exchange of Ideas,” Prosecutor’s Brief, The California District Attorney’s Association’s Quarterly Journal, Fall 2011, Volume 34. No. 1.