David’s practice is focused on matters related to real estate transactions. He represents developers, lenders, investors, landlords and tenants in a variety of real estate matters, including purchases and sales, title matters, commercial leasing, financing, joint venture formation, easement agreements, and license agreements.
Following law school, David served as a law clerk in Charleston, South Carolina for the Honorable John E. Waites, then the Chief Bankruptcy Judge for the District of South Carolina. After his clerkship and before joining Procopio, he was an associate in the Charlotte, North Carolina office of Moore & Van Allen PLLC, one of the Southeast's top law firms.
- Assisted clients in the acquisition and disposition of over $1 billion in real estate assets, including shopping centers, office buildings, industrial property, multifamily property, and raw land. Deal structures vary from traditional purchases and sales to portfolio transactions, option agreements, ground lease assignments, and assignment and assumption of purchase agreement rights using multiple escrows.
- Negotiated and drafted commercial lease agreements and work letters on behalf of landlords, tenants, and subtenants in new, renewal, sublease and assignment transactions for office, industrial, retail, and restaurant space involving over a half million (500,000) square feet.
- Formed holding companies and parent entities and draft accompanying operating agreements to govern company management, capital contributions, distribution waterfalls, and transfer restrictions.
- Completed reciprocal easement agreements between neighboring landowners to govern access and other rights with respect commercial retail centers and multifamily developments.
- State Bar of California – Real Property Section
- Pro bono legal counsel to San Diego Habitat for Humanity
- Pro bono legal counsel to Habitat for Humanity of Charlotte (past)
- Pro bono legal counsel to San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program
- Member, Downtown San Diego Partnership
- NAIOP Developing Leaders Program
- ULI Young Leaders
- J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law; Order of the Coif, Magna Cum Laude; Wake Forest Law Review, Board of Editors; Wake Forest Moot Court Board Member
- B.S., Cal Poly San Luis Obispo; four-year starter and scholarship athlete for Cal Poly Men’s Tennis; three time all conference selection; former volunteer assistant coach
- “Procopio adds associates Jones, Stender, Wells,” The Daily Transcript, September 15, 2014.
- Huard, Ray, “Downtown Parking Garage Sold For $6.3M,” San Diego Business Journal, February 12, 2019.