12544 High Bluff Drive, Suite 400
San Diego, CA 92130
- Corporate and Securities
- Emerging Growth and Venture Capital
- Mergers & Acquisitions and Strategic Joint Ventures
- Environment and Natural Resources
Aaron counsels clients on venture financings, seed financings, bridge financings, and exits. He is also experienced advising entrepreneurs on company formations and advising technology companies on general corporate and legal issues, including contracts, equity compensation, and corporate governance. In addition, Aaron is leading the efforts of Procopio’s Business & Technology team on practice improvements, knowledge management, and attorney education.
- Represented electronic health records software company in acquisition by a private equity firm.
- Represented solar technology company in Series D financing.
- Represented satellite technology company in multiple venture financings.
- Represented online gaming company in Series A financing.
- Represented social media company in Series D financing.
- Represented mobile data company in Series A financing.
- Represented mobile payments company in multiple venture financings.
- Represented venture capital firm in multiple investments in alternative energy companies.
- Represented venture capital firm in multiple investments in healthcare technology companies.
- Represented seed fund in investment in wireless vehicle power company.
- Represented solar technology company in acquisition by French buyer.
- Represented network security company in acquisition by private equity group.
- Represented publicly listed technology company in acquisition of web security company.
- Represented e-commerce company in acquisition by publicly listed company.
- Represented underwriter in initial public offering of medical device company.
- "San Diego Super Lawyers Rising Star," Super Lawyers Magazine, 2015-2019 (Securities & Corporate Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions)
- Cleantech San Diego – Board of Directors
- Japan Exchange & Teaching Program Alumni Association of Southern California – Former San Diego Representative
- San Diego Regional Energy Innovation Cluster – Technical Advisory Committee
- JD, Harvard University, cum laude, 2008
- AB (History), Brown University, magna cum laude, 2004
- Dan Heching, Gina Kim and Melanie Brisbon. “Exactech acquires XpandOrtho, with help from Procopio,” San Diego Daily Transcript, March 19, 2019.
- “Exact Sciences Buy Biomatrica with Help from Procopio, Reed Smith,” San Diego Daily Transcript, October 30, 2018.
- “Procopio Assists Nutpods in Securing Investment,” The Daily Transcript, December 19, 2017.
- “Procopio Tapped by Tear Film Innovations for Counsel in 9M Series A Financing,” San Diego Transcript, November 21, 2017.
- Fracassa, Dominic. “Procopio represents Italian drugmaker in sale to Salix,” Daily Journal, July 11, 2014.
- Presenter: CONNECT Frameworks Workshop, September 5, 2019
- Presenter: “Ten mistakes in early stage financings – from Angel Seed Funding to Series B Financing” at Cleantech San Diego Member Breakfast, April 17, 2019.
- Panelist. “San Diego Sports Innovators Mentor Forum,” October 3, 2018.
- Panelist. “CONNECT Springboard,” February 6, 2018.
- Panelist. “Optimizing Risk Allocation Provisions in Contracts,” presented by the Business and Corporate Section of the San Diego County Bar Association, July 6, 2017.
- Panelist. “CONNECT Springboard,” February 21, 2014.
- “Does Your Company Need a Stockholder Agreement?,” August 12, 2019.
- Co-author. “Changes in Convertible Instruments for Early Stage Financings,” June 24, 2019.
- “Should You Consider a Phantom Equity Plan?” March 13, 2019.
- "Finding Work-Life Balance as an Attorney," San Diego Daily Transcript, July 16, 2018.
- "Should You Form A Social Purpose Corporation?" January 22, 2018.
- Co-author. “How Your Company’s Valuation Can Be Impacted by Convertible Notes,” December 7, 2017.
- Co-author. "When Investors Require Side Agreements," September 21, 2017.
- “Client Management in Disclosure Schedules,” San Diego County Bar Association, July 2017.
- "Do We Have a Deal? Legal Expert Weighs In On Investor Term Sheets For Startups," YFS Magazine, October 8, 2016.
- "What Startups Should Know About Lender Warrants," June 29, 2016
- "Avoid Three Common Pitfalls in Your Next NDA," April 19, 2016.
- Co-author. “The Trouble with Strategic Financings,” June 16, 2015.
- “What Startups Should Know about Series B Financings When Negotiating Series A,” June 9, 2015.
- “What Startups Can Do Now to Avoid Due Diligence Problems,” March 3, 2015.
- Co-author. "The Trouble with Convertible Loan Financings for Small-Cap Companies," North County Lawyer, February 2, 2015.
- “Legal Issues for Startups in the Charitable Fundraising Space,” August 26, 2014.
- “SEC's Amendment to Rule 506 Allows for General Solicitations (with Some New Requirements),” July 23, 2013.