Leading U.S. and Mexican Officials Among Prominent Speakers at Upcoming International Tax Conference
September 12, 2019 (San Diego) -- The University of San Diego School of Law - Procopio International Tax Institute (USD-PITI) announced today its lineup of speakers for the annual event, held on October 17-18 at the Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice. Speakers include high-level U.S. and Mexican government officials, prominent academics, and other internationally recognized international tax experts, along with members of Procopio’s renowned International Tax team.
Celebrating its 15th year in 2019, USD-PITI is the premier educational and networking event for the latest developments in the tax laws of the United States and Mexico. Speakers include:
- Mr. Peter Blessing, Associate Chief Counsel International- IRS
- Dr. Carlos Romero, Mexico’s Attorney General for Tax
- Hon. Juan Carlos Roa Jacobo, Mexico’s Tax Court
- Lee Sheepard - Tax Analysts
- Peter Cotorceanu, Esq. - GATCA & Trusts Compliance Associates LLC
- Victor S.O. Song, Chief Operating Officer - Integritas3
- Lic. Victor Diaz Infante – Head of Tax Mexico - Uber
- Professor Heather M. Field - University of California Hastings College of the Law
- Elise Bean, Esq., Washington Co-Director, Levin Center - Wayne State University
- Professor Mindy Herzfeld, Director, LL.M. in International Tax Program - University of Florida
- Hal Hicks - Skadden (Former International Tax Counsel - Department of the Treasury)
- Ronald Gootzeit, Esq, Attorney-Advisor Office of the Associate Chief Counsel (International) – IRS
- Michael Miller, Esq. - Roberts & Holland LLP
- Caroline D. Ciraolo, Esq. - Kostelanetz & Fink (Former Acting Assistant Attorney General, Tax Division - DOJ)
- Sarah Paul - Eversheds Sutherland (Former Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of New York)
- Gabriel Grchan, Director of Field Operations – IRS
- Daniel Price, Office of Chief Counsel (SB/SE Division) – IRS
- Daniel Silva, Esq. - Assistant United States Attorney (San Diego)
Additional speakers will be announced soon.
The USD-PITI event offers MCLE and CPE credits for attendees and simultaneous Spanish and English translations will be available. Key topics include:
- IRS/Treasury’s TCJA International Tax Guidance
- IRS International Tax Enforcement in a Post OVDP World
- Living in the Post-Grecian World: Withholding on Transfers of Partnership Interests Under Section 1446(f) & New 864(c)(8) Rules
- Identifying the Line Between Avoidance and Evasion: Global Criminal Tax Enforcement
- Cross Border M&A in a TCJA World
- Aggressive International Tax Planning & the Ethical Tax Lawyer
- The Great Challenge of Taxing New Digital Services
"What we offer with USD-PITI goes beyond its incredible curriculum," said Enrique Hernandez-Pulido, Procopio Partner and Latin America Practice Group Leader. "This event provides an unforgettable experience that brings together an international community of leading practitioners. Procopio is very proud to be a long-time sponsor of USD-PITI."
New in 2019 is an expanded calendar of social and networking events from Wednesday to Friday, including a 10K run and walk. More information on all activities is available at www.usdpiti.com and on YouTube.
Procopio is a full-service business law firm committed to thoughtful problem solving and improving your bottom line. With more than 170 attorneys based in San Diego, Silicon Valley, Phoenix and Las Vegas – we're passionate about knowing your business, helping you grow, and protecting it for the long term. Procopio has the flexible infrastructure to support both small to mid-sized companies and large multinationals at every stage of the business life cycle. Our global reach across Asia and Latin America further expands our international partnerships and cross-border capabilities. At Procopio, we are focused on what is important to you–providing smart, innovative and practical solutions in a cost-effective manner to help your business thrive. Learn more at procopio.com.
Francisco Sanchez Losada