Wendy L. Tucker’s practice focuses on providing practical, effective advice to assist employers in complying with all aspects of state and federal employment law while, at the same time, reducing the risk of potential lawsuits. Her goal is to provide solutions tailored to individual employers to accommodate her clients’ philosophies and assist her clients in reaching their objectives. Ms. Tucker’s twenty-plus years of experience enables her to offer her clients creative and effective solutions.
Ms. Tucker handles the complete range of employment issues, including hiring, background checks, training, employee handbooks and policies, wage and hour issues, employee discipline, disability leaves and accommodations, harassment and discrimination claims, investigations and terminations. Additionally, Ms. Tucker is experienced in defending all types of employment actions, including wage and hour class actions and claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation and wrongful termination. Her broad background in all types of litigation enables her to offer clients a valuable perspective to reduce their risk and protect all aspects of their businesses.
Ms. Tucker represents charter schools, public agencies, private companies, Native American tribes and health care entities. Ms. Tucker’s practice encompasses counseling and all phases of litigation before state and federal courts, including discovery, mediation, arbitration, trial, writs and appeals. She has also represented clients before various administrative agencies including the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Public Employment Relations Board, the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement and the California State Teachers’ Retirement System. Ms. Tucker is admitted to practice before all federal courts in the State of California.
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, 1994
- BA (Political Science and French), The University of Montana, 1988
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- Southern California's Top Rated Lawyers - 2012-2014
- Top Rated Lawyers In Healthcare - 2013
- San Diego County Bar Association
- The State Bar of California
Ms. Tucker is a frequent speaker on employment law issues, including harassment prevention, wage and hour issues, disability leaves and accommodations and employment best practices. In addition, Ms. Tucker has authored numerous articles on various employment issues, including employees’ use of company e-mail and Internet access, violence in the workplace, and discrimination and harassment.
Recent News Coverage
- "2014 Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, March 2014.
- "2013 Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, March 2013.
- “Procopio Enhances Commitment to the Community,” Procopio Press Release, April 28, 2008.
- Darcé, Keith. "San Diego firm lands team of lawyers who quit major practice," San Diego Union-Tribune, March 22, 2007.
- Sherwin, Doug. "Nine attorneys join Procopio to create health care practice," The Daily Transcript, March 20, 2007.
- Combs, Drew. "Foley Lawyers Start Procopio Health Care Group," Daily Journal, March 19, 2007.
- “Procopio Launches National Health Care Practice,” Procopio Press Release, March 15, 2007.
- “Navigating Medical Issues in the Workplace,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar, San Diego, CA, October 29, 2013.
- “Best Employment Practices and Policies: The First Line of Defense,” 20th Annual Charter Schools Conference, San Diego, CA, March 11-14, 2013.
- “Sex, Lies & Social Media: Navigating the Cyber Highway,” 20th Annual Charter Schools Conference, San Diego, CA, March 11-14, 2013.
- “Unions and Charter Schools: Navigating the Minefield,” 20th Annual Charter Schools Conference, San Diego, CA, March 11-14, 2013.
- “Wage & Hour Issues: Charter Schools Cannot Follow District Policies,” 20th Annual Charter Schools Conference, San Diego, CA, March 11-14, 2013.
- “Sex, Work, and Facebook - Managing Employee Social Media Use,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar, San Diego, CA, October 30, 2012.
- “HR Compliance for Charter Developers,” Webinar, October 4, 2012.
- “Employment Law Seminar: Disability Leaves and Accommodations for Charter Schools,” Los Angeles, CA, October 3, 2012.
- “Best Practices and Policies for Charter School Teacher/Student Interactions and Other 'Hot Topics' in Charter School Employment,” California Charter Schools Association (CCSA), Los Angeles, CA, September 27, 2012.
- “Unintended Consequences Related to: Issuing Stock in Lieu of Compensation; Misclassification of Consultants; Termination of Founders and Employees,” Procopio and SV Forum, Palo Alto, CA, June 13, 2012.
- “Disability Leaves /Accommodations and Wage and Hour Laws For Charter Schools in California,” San Diego, CA, May 10, 2012.
- “CCSA Governance Academy: Brown Act, Conflicts and Best Practices for Charter School Board Members and Officials,” San Diego, CA, April 27, 2012.
- “CCSA Governance Academy: Brown Act, Conflicts and Best Practices for Charter School Board Members and Officials,” Los Angeles, CA, April 23, 2012.
- “Employment Policies: Your First Step to Protecting Your School,” 19th Annual Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, February 27-March 1, 2012.
- “Leaves and Accommodations for Employees with Illnesses and Disabilities,” 19th Annual Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, February 27-March 1, 2012.
- “Working with the Union?: Know Your Rights as an Employer,” 19th Annual Charter Schools Conference, Sacramento, CA, February 27-March 1, 2012.
- “Lawyers Guns or Money: When is Your Lawyer the Right Weapon?” Ladies Who Launch, San Diego, CA, April 13, 2011.
- “HR Roundtables: Terminated Due to At-Will Status. Really?” SDEA, San Diego, CA, March 18, 2011.
- “How to Fire an Employee Without Getting into Trouble,” California Charter Schools Conference, San Diego, CA, March 9, 2011.