525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Steve’s experience is unique among patent attorneys in that he brought his own products from concept to manufacture and to retail, and is the inventor on over ten patents. Steve also obtained hundreds of patents in a wide variety of mechanical, electrical, computer and biotechnology areas including toys, medical devices and implants, biotechnology instruments, consumer electronics, exercise equipment, fuel cells, photovoltaic systems, recycling separators, electric and hybrid-electric drive systems, wireless communications, telematics, biometrics, video and audio streaming, musical instruments, children’s products, sequencing equipment, detection systems and manufacturing systems and methods. Steve also has extensive experience with US and foreign trademark prosecution, and has experience with inter partes review, ex parte reexamination, copyright prosecution, intellectual property due diligence, licensing and the preparation of intellectual property legal opinions. He also has extensive experience working with companies from the Far East, especially Japan, China, and Hong Kong, in protecting their intellectual property in the United States.
- Obtained hundreds of patents and registered trademarks for clients in a wide variety of industries, especially in the areas of toys, medical devices and clean technology.
- Prepared and prosecuted numerous US patent applications for Yamaha Hatsudoki Kabushiki Kaisha of Shizuoka, Japan.
- Prosecuted and obtained the “Worm Light” toy patent related to the then number one selling video game accessory in the world.
- Represented Boston Scientific in intellectual property due diligence of Cardiac Pathways for Boston Scientific acquisition of Cardiac Pathways.
- Reacquired numerous stolen domain names for clients.
- Negotiated and prepared numerous income-generating licenses for clients in the medical device and music industries.
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2015-2016
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Diego County – Volunteer
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Senior Community Centers – Serving Seniors Program Volunteer
- The San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- JD, The John Marshall Law School, 1995 (Intellectual Property Law Society President)
- BS (Mechanical Engineering), University of Michigan, magna cum laude, 1992
- Lee, Kevin. “With hires, Procopio creates full-time Silicon Valley presence,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, November 27, 2012.