Michael E. Lyon counsels clients in a wide range of real estate transactional matters involving commercial, residential and mixed-use projects. Mike’s practice focuses on mezzanine lending, acquisitions and sales, financing, development projects, joint venture formation and other equity investments. He has extensive experience in joint development agreements and reciprocal easement and operating agreements for shopping centers and business parks.
- Assists major financial institution in documenting and closing equity investments and mezzanine loans to residential developers in excess of $125M to date, for development of over 6900 homes with total development values in excess of $1B.
- Represented redevelopment agency in connection with development of approximately 300,000 SF retail center involving preparation and negotiation of retail anchor leases including ground leases for "big box" anchor tenant and fast food/restaurant tenants, build-to-suit leases for major retail tenants and over 30,000 SF of in-line tenant space, as well as all project operating documents.
- Served as California real estate counsel for national child care provider with responsibility for negotiating purchase and lease documents (ground, build-to-suit and space leases), due diligence, title and survey review, drafting escrow instructions and coordinating closings for over 25 properties located throughout California.
- Restructured in excess of 35 leases for a regional restaurant operator including lease amendments for operational, rent and other relief, termination agreements, assignments and subletting and other exit strategies.
- Represented private developer in joint development project with local utility company in which client is developing and will operate a business park with in excess of 2 million SF of office, R&D and industrial uses (including multi-tenant, corporate, distribution facilities and ancillary commercial services). Anchor tenants are slated to include a 550 megawatt power plant and an extensive state of the art medical campus. Key legal milestones included structuring and negotiating joint development and related development management agreements, navigating all land purchases in assembling of over 186 acres of unimproved land, assisting with all acquisition, development, and construction financing, formation of development partnerships, sale and lease of improved and unimproved parcels following completion of infrastructure and other project improvements, preparing easement agreements and other project level operating documents, managing all title matters and handling a variety of prime construction contracts valued in excess of $25M both in connection with the business park infrastructure as well as vertical building construction.
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- San Diego Super Lawyers® – 2007-2017 (Real Estate)
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2013 – 2015, 2017 – 2018
- “Southern California Super Lawyers,” Super Lawyers Magazine, Southern California 2014
- “Public/Private Deal of the Year,” San Diego Business Journal, February 25, 2013
- The Daily Transcript Top Attorneys – 2009 (Real Estate & Construction Transactional)
- Temple Solel – Pro Bono Legal Counsel
- San Diego County Bar Association – Mentoring Program Mentor
- San Diego County Football Officials Association – CIF high school and youth football in San Diego County
- JD, University of California, Davis
- BA (Economics), University of California, Davis, with honors
- Sarah de Crescenzo.“Procopio Ushers in Leadership Changes in New Year,” San Diego Business Journal, January 3, 2018.
- “Public/Private Deal of the Year,” San Diego Business Journal, February 25, 2013.
- “Legal Aspects of Real Estate Finance,” University of San Diego (Burnham-Moores Center for Real Estate), San Diego, CA, 2006- 2017.