525 B Street, Suite 2200
San Diego, CA 92101
Kam W. Li counsels clients on a wide range of United States and international matters, including cross-border transactions, litigation, intellectual property strategies, IP protection and enforcement (esp. China IPR enforcement), technology licensing, intellectual capital and strategic partnering relationships.
Kam’s clients include regulatory agencies, multinational corporations and financial institutions in the United States and the Far East. Kam is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of California, the U.S. Federal Courts and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Court.
- Structures joint venture/licensing relationship between a US technology client and Chinese company for the importation and distribution of proprietary products in China.
- Counsels clients in international project financing and access to capital market in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Mainland China.
- Counsels clients in partnering negotiations, technology acquisition, licensing, joint research, development and outsourcing production and distribution relationships for clients in the US, China and other countries.
- Counsels clients in the greater China region in investments and doing business in the US.
- Enforces actions on behalf of US and international clients against IPR abuses in China.
- Prosecutes administrative and criminal enforcement actions against counterfeiters resulting in seizure of substantial quantities of counterfeits and criminal convictions of Chinese counterfeits. In one action, case was cited by the China Quality Brand Protection Committee as one of the top ten model cases of IPR enforcement in China for 2013-2014.
- Enforces actions against IPR abuses on top Chinese Internet trade portals on behalf of clients with innovative, proprietary technology resulting in the removal of over 9.5 cans of counterfeit products valued at over $12M; success rate over 98% over an 18-month period.
- Assists clients in the execution of their Global IPR enforcement strategy focusing on China (administrative and judicial enforcement and raids and customs seizures against counterfeiters and infringers).
- Conducted due diligence in examining multi-billion dollar loan portfolios for professional liability and advising institution on remedies and actions to recover.
- Represented a client in a $115M hotel acquisition and renovation project, hotel operating agreement and negotiation of $225M financing facilities.
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rating
- San Diego Super Lawyers® 2007 (Intellectual Property)
- “Top Lawyers,” San Diego Magazine, 2013 - 2017
- Hong Kong Association of Southern California – Chair, Board of Directors
- Pan Asian Lawyers of San Diego – Past President
- San Diego Elderly Chinese Association - Volunteer
- Shanghai Bar – IT Committee Senior Overseas Counsel
- World Trade Center of San Diego – Director
- JD, University of San Diego Law School
- MS (Mechanical Engineering), The University of Arizona
- BS (Mechanical Engineering), The University of Arizona, with high distinction
- Evans, Jeremy. “Time Out: How we Represent and Play in the Big Leagues,” San Diego Lawyer, July 1, 2013.
- “International Intellectual Property Protection and Enforcement,” San Diego International Music Educators Symposium, January 17, 2016.
- Panel Discussion “International Legal Practice in Asia,” California Western School of Law, February 19, 2016.
- Panelist. “Medical Technologies Export Workshop,” California State University San Marcos, San Marcos, CA, April 24, 2015.
- Panelist. "Intellectual Property Protection in China," District Export Council San Diego & Imperial, San Diego, CA, December 11, 2014.
- “China Business Outlook Business Strategy,” San Diego World Trade Center, February 6, 2014.
- “Beyond 101: Building a China Practice - IP and Brand Protection and China Strategy,” San Diego Chinese Attorneys Association & the Pan Asian Lawyers of San Diego & the San Diego County Bar Association, San Diego, CA, May 9, 2013.
- "What Do Michael Jordan and Jeremy Lin Have in Common,” February 2016.
- “The Next iBrand,” August 2013.