Steve maintains an active intellectual property law practice, with a particular emphasis on US and foreign patent protection in a wide variety of mechanical, electrical, computer and biotechnology areas including toys, medical devices and implants, biotechnology instruments, consumer electronics, exercise equipment, fuel cells, photovoltaic systems, recycling separators, electric and hybrid-electric drive systems, wireless communications, telematics, biometrics, video and audio streaming, musical instruments, children’s products, sequencing equipment, detection systems and manufacturing systems and methods. Steve also has extensive experience with US and foreign trademark prosecution, copyright prosecution, intellectual property due diligence, licensing and the preparation of intellectual property legal opinions. Steve also has extensive experience working with companies from the Far East, including China, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea, in protecting their intellectual property in the US. Before joining Procopio, Steve was an attorney at both Lyon & Lyon LLP and Knobbe, Martens, Olson & Bear LLP.
Steve is licensed to practice before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Federal District Courts for the Southern and Central Districts of California.
- Obtained hundreds of patents and registered trademarks for clients in a wide variety of industries, especially in the areas of toys, medical devices and clean technology.
- Prepared and prosecuted numerous US patent applications for Yamaha Hatsudoki Kabushiki Kaisha of Shizuoka, Japan.
- Prosecuted and obtained the “Worm Light” toy patent related to the then number one selling video game accessory in the world.
- Represented Boston Scientific in intellectual property due diligence of Cardiac Pathways for Boston Scientific acquisition of Cardiac Pathways.
- Reacquired numerous stolen domain names for clients.
- Negotiated and prepared numerous income-generating licenses for clients in the medical device and music industries.