Robert utilizes his experience as a former Assistant United States Attorney to effectively and efficiently defend corporate clients and individuals, in all contexts, who are working through complex internal or government investigations, responding to grand jury and administrative subpoenas, investigative demands for interviews, or facing criminal prosecution. In the business context, for example, Robert assists clients with matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-bribery provisions, fraud allegations, privacy and security breaches, OIG audits and the defense of professional licenses.
In the healthcare context, Robert advises clients on compliance with health care laws including fraud and abuse laws, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other health care privacy laws. Additionally, Robert serves as litigation counsel on behalf of health systems, hospitals, physician groups and individual providers in business, fraud and abuse and administrative matters in both Federal and State court.
Prior to joining Procopio, Robert was an Assistant United States Attorney at the US Department of Justice, United States Attorney’s Offices in the District of New Jersey and the Southern District of California, where he was lead prosecutor on hundreds of investigations of both individual and corporate targets. As a federal prosecutor, Robert prosecuted cases involving, among other offenses, money laundering, mail, wire and bank fraud, tax fraud, health care fraud, securities fraud, mortgage fraud and aggravated identity theft.
- JD, Seton Hall University School of Law
- AB, College of the Holy Cross
- Adjunct Professor – Federal Criminal Procedure and Advocacy
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice and Health Law Sections
- American Diabetes Association, San Diego Chapter – Father of the Year Committee
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter – Active Alumnus
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Lawyer’s Club of San Diego – Human Trafficking Task Force
- Federal Bar Association, Southern District of California
- San Diego County Bar Association – Legal Ethics Committee
- San Diego Teen Court – Volunteer Judge
- Holy Cross Lawyers Association – Board of Directors
- Holy Cross Club of San Diego
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – White Collar Crime Committee
- Seton Hall University School of Law – Alumni Mentor, former Adjunct Professor, and Alumni Council member
Recent News Coverage
- “Hot Topic: This Week’s Big Stories,” The Roger Hedgecock Show, January 17, 2014.
- “Former Assistant U.S. Attorney Speaks Out,“ U-T San Diego News, January 14, 2014.
- “Former Assistant U.S. Attorney under Chris Christie,” The Roger Hedgecock Show, January 14, 2014.
- “New Charges for Boston Marathon Bombers,” Fox 5, May 2, 2013.
- Frisch, Randy. “The Business of Law,” San Diego Business Journal, March 25, 2013.
- Co-Presenter. “California Privacy Breaches: Surviving Two Regulators,” ACC-SD/Procopio Health Law Roundtable, San Diego, CA, November 13, 2014.
- "Government Investigations: Lessons and Preparations" Renaissance Executive Forums - CEOs, San Diego, CA, October 8, 2014.
- “Government Investigations: Lessons and Preparations” Renaissance Executive Forums - CFOs, San Diego, CA, September 18, 2014.
- “Government Agents are Here to Speak with You,” ACC-SD/Procopio Health Law Roundtable, San Diego, CA, July 24, 2013.