Robert G. Marasco serves as medical staff counsel for numerous hospitals and health systems, and also serves as litigation counsel on behalf of health systems, hospitals, physician groups, and individual providers in business, professional liability, fraud and abuse, and administrative matters in both Federal and State court. Mr. Marasco also utilizes his background as a former Assistant United States Attorney to effectively and efficiently defend corporate clients and individuals who are working through complex internal or government investigations, responding to grand jury and administrative subpoenas, or facing criminal prosecution.
Prior to joining Procopio, Mr. Marasco was an Assistant United States Attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice, United States Attorney’s Offices in the District of New Jersey and the Southern District of California, where he was lead prosecutor on hundreds of investigations of both individual and corporate targets. As a federal prosecutor, Mr. Marasco prosecuted cases involving, among other offenses, money laundering, mail, wire, and bank fraud, securities fraud, mortgage fraud, identity theft, and income tax evasion.
Before joining the Department of Justice, Mr. Marasco worked as an attorney at Gibbons P.C. where he litigated complex white-collar criminal cases for both individual and corporate clients in the context of healthcare fraud, securities fraud, money laundering, tax-related offenses, and other business frauds. This included assisting corporations and individuals in responding to subpoenas received from the Department of Justice and various state investigative agencies, and conducting internal investigations.
- JD, Seton Hall University School of Law
- BA, College of the Holy Cross
- American Diabetes Association, San Diego Chapter – Father of the Year Committee
- Federal Bar Association, Southern District of California
- Holy Cross Lawyers Association – Board of Directors
- Holy Cross Club of San Diego
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter – Barrister
- Lawyer’s Club of San Diego
- San Diego County Bar Association
- San Diego Teen Court – Volunteer Judge
- Seton Hall University School of Law – Alumni Mentor, former Adjunct Professor, and Alumni Council member
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law, Adjunct Professor – Federal Criminal Procedure and Advocacy