Robert G. Marasco utilizes his experience as a former Assistant United States Attorney to effectively and efficiently defend corporate clients and individuals, in all contexts, who are working through complex internal or government investigations, responding to grand jury and administrative subpoenas, or facing criminal prosecution. In the business context, for example, Mr. Marasco assists clients with matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-bribery provisions; fraud allegations; privacy and security breaches; and the defense of professional licenses.
In the healthcare context, Mr. Marasco advises clients on compliance with health care laws including fraud and abuse laws, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other health care privacy laws. Additionally, Mr. Marasco serves as medical staff counsel for numerous hospitals and health systems, and as litigation counsel on behalf of health systems, hospitals, physician groups, and individual providers in business, fraud and abuse, and administrative matters in both Federal and State court.
Prior to joining Procopio, Mr. Marasco was an Assistant United States Attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice, United States Attorney’s Offices in the District of New Jersey and the Southern District of California, where he was lead prosecutor on hundreds of investigations of both individual and corporate targets. As a federal prosecutor, Mr. Marasco prosecuted cases involving, among other offenses, money laundering, mail, wire, and bank fraud, securities fraud, mortgage fraud, identity theft, and income tax evasion.
- JD, Seton Hall University School of Law
- AB, College of the Holy Cross
- American Diabetes Association, San Diego Chapter – Father of the Year Committee
- Lawyer’s Club of San Diego
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Chapter – Barrister
- Federal Bar Association, Southern District of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- San Diego Teen Court – Volunteer Judge
- Holy Cross Lawyers Association – Board of Directors
- Holy Cross Club of San Diego
- Seton Hall University School of Law – Alumni Mentor, former Adjunct Professor, and Alumni Council member
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law, Adjunct Professor – Federal Criminal Procedure and Advocacy
Recent News Coverage
- “Hot Topic: This Week’s Big Stories,” The Roger Hedgecock Show, January 17, 2014.
- “Former Assistant U.S. Attorney Speaks Out,“ U-T San Diego News, January 14, 2014.
- “Former Assistant U.S. Attorney under Chris Christie,” The Roger Hedgecock Show, January 14, 2014.
- “New Charges for Boston Marathon Bombers,” Fox 5, May 2, 2013.
- Frisch, Randy. “The Business of Law,” San Diego Business Journal, March 25, 2013.
- “Government Agents are Here to Speak with You,” ACC-SD/Procopio Health Law Roundtable, San Diego, CA, July 24, 2013.