Phil focuses his practice on creditor's rights and business reorganizations. He has been licensed to practice law in the federal and state courts of California since 1975. Additionally, he has been licensed to practice law in the federal and state courts of Colorado since 1994.
Phil served four years as an officer in the United States Marine Corps. He is a former bankruptcy trustee and is adjunct professor of law at the University of San Diego School of Law where he teaches bankruptcy and created an advanced Chapter 11 course.
- Defended title company insureds in civil litigation and bankruptcy cases.
- Obtained a defense verdict following a month-long jury trial for a foreign bank accused of intentional interference with a real estate development contract.
- Planned, presented and confirmed plans of reorganization representing trustees appointed in real estate development failures, manufacturing operations, nursery operations and a company shut by the SEC for failing to comply with securities laws over the past twenty five years.
- Obtained over one half-million dollar settlement in federal court representing plaintiff in trade secret infringement litigation.
- Defended individuals accused of trade secret infringement when the case settled after jury deliberation of two days.
- Obtained defense verdict in mandatory arbitration of $2M claim against one of the largest ambulatory product manufacturers in the US.
- Confirmed plan of reorganization of local San Diego law firm.
- Represented bank and the resolution trust corporation in the reorganization of a mixed-use real estate project.
- Represented a water district in the reorganization of a country club.
- Obtained a defense verdict following trial for a San Diego lender sued in a multi-million dollar lender liability action in the Pioneer Mortgage Co. failure.
- Counsel for Federal Court appointed Receivers in Federal Trade Commission actions shutting down “boiler room” operations.
- Served as commercial litigation counsel in matters for Union Bank of California, Home Federal Savings and Loan, California First Bank, US Bank and Orange Coast Savings and Loan.
- Served as outside litigation counsel for Mola Development Corporation, the developer owner of numerous residential and commercial real estate projects.
- Helped formulate plans of reorganization in failed personal property lease investments operation of Alliance Funding.
- Helped formulate plan of reorganization that returned 100% payment to all creditors in the case of a failed North San Diego County real estate developer.
- Defended Windsor Woodmont Development Corp. in a real property dispute over ownership of the property on which sits the Black Hawk Casino in Colorado.
- Served as litigation counsel for Sunrise Medical Inc., one of the leaders in the manufacturing and sale of medical equipment and supplies.
- Serves as counsel for First American Title Insurance Co. in both California and Colorado.
- Reorganized real property development under Chapter 11 in Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Serves as bankruptcy counsel for Alpine Bank.