Miku H. Mehta’s practice focuses on the preparation and prosecution of patent applications before the USPTO. Mr. Mehta has also worked on due diligence projects, including preparation of opinions in the areas of patentability, validity, infringement, and product clearance, as well as patent licensing. His areas of focus include the technology field such as computer software and hardware, networks, Internet-related application, environmental technologies, optics, mechanical engineering, business processes, and medical devices.
Prior to joining Procopio, Mr. Mehta practiced as a partner at Sughrue Mion PLLC in Japan and Silicon Valley. Mr. Mehta also worked as an associate at Fleshner & Kim, LLP, and as a searcher at Prior Art Searches, Inc.
In addition to his extensive legal experience, Mr. Mehta was a lead developer for American Management Systems, Inc where he was involved in the proposal, design, software coding, testing, and user documentation stages for various federal budgeting and scientific information client/server application related to environmental and health agencies. Prior to that, he conducted facilities assessment, industrial facility technical analysis, and environmental impact statement for Resources Application, Inc. – where he also performed scientific analysis of federally regulated hazardous waste sites, including contamination migration and toxicity studies. Mr. Mehta has also directed corporate leadership and teambuilding training, conservation education and training, and recreation outdoors adventure services for Action Endeavor, Inc., a company that he founded, owned, and operated.
- JD, George Mason University School of Law
- BS (Systems Engineering, Environmental Sciences), University of Virginia
- Licensing Executives Society
- TiE Silicon Valley
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Keizai Society of Northern California
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association
- Boy Scouts of America - Adult Leader
Recent News Coverage
- McIntyre, Andrew. “Mid-market activity from Japan saw an uptick in 2012,” Daily Journal, January 11, 2013.
- Frisch, Randy. “The Business of Law,” San Diego Business Journal, December 17, 2012.
- “Procopio adds team to Silicon Valley office,” Daily Journal, December 3, 2012.
- Sherwin, Doug. “Law Briefs,” The Daily Transcript, November 28, 2012.
- Lee, Kevin. “With hires, Procopio creates full-time Silicon Valley presence,” Daily Journal, November 27, 2012.
- Scurria, Andrew. “Procopio Hires 5 IP Pros to Plant Flag in Silicon Valley,” Law 360, November 27, 2012.
- “Procopio adds 5 Silicon Valley attorneys,” The Daily Transcript, November 26, 2012.
- “Procopio Continues to Grow – Expands in Silicon Valley," Legal Netlink Alliance, November 26, 2012.
- “Procopio Continues to Grow, Expands in Silicon Valley,” Procopio Press Release, November 26, 2012.
Recent Seminars and Speeches
- “Final USPTO Rules for First-to-File Provisions of the America Invents Act,” February 14, 2013.
- Co-author. “The Supreme Court Has Granted Certiorari in the Uber-Important Bilski Case - Now What?” July 10, 2009.
- Co-author. “Patent Prosecution and Enforcement Tips in View of In re Bilski,” March 27, 2009.
- "Injunctive Relief in U.S. Patent Litigation after eBay v. MercExchange," (Japanese Version).
- Co-author. “USPTO rules require new corporate strategies,” Americas IP Focus, 2007.
- Co-author. “Top Three Things To Do Under Proposed PTO Rules,” Andrews Litigation Reporter, November 7, 2006.
- “RIM v. NTP Analysis by Miku Mehta,” (Japanese Version).
- “Inequitable Conduct: An overview and review of 2006 Federal Circuit Cases,” (Japanese Version).
- Co-author. “Business Method Patents in the United States: A Legislative Response.”
- Co-author. “Business Method Patents: A Judicial History and the Legislative Response.”
- "Business Method Patents in the United States: A Judicial History & Prosecution Practice," AIPPI Japan, April 2004
- "Expediting Patent Prosecution by the Special Treatment of Patent Applications," April 2003.
- "Business Method Patents: A Judicial History And The Legislative Response," August 2002.
- "Five Important Questions Relating To The Exclusion Of References Under 35 U.S.C. § 103(c)," February 2002.
- “Patentability Searches and Competitor Monitoring Strategies in View of AIA,” Webinar, Nationwide, April 17, 2013.
- “The Patent Game: Changing Values in Changing Times,” Keizai Society, Palo Alto, CA, September 20, 2012.
- “Patent Prosecution Bootcamp,” IP Counsel Café, Palo Alto, CA, April 18-20, 2012.