Miku’s practice focuses on the preparation and prosecution of patent applications before the USPTO. Miku has also worked on due diligence projects, including preparation of opinions in the areas of patentability, validity, infringement and product clearance, as well as patent licensing. His areas of focus include the technology field such as computer software and hardware, networks, Internet-related application, environmental technologies, optics, mechanical engineering, business processes and medical devices. Miku’s practice also includes registration and renewal of trademarks. His practice also includes Export Control consultation, specializing in the issues faced by US subsidiaries of overseas corporations.
Prior to joining Procopio, Miku practiced as a partner at Sughrue Mion PLLC in Japan and Silicon Valley. Miku also worked as an associate at Fleshner & Kim, LLP, and as a searcher at Prior Art Searches, Inc.
In addition to his extensive legal experience, Miku was a lead developer for American Management Systems, Inc where he was involved in the proposal, design, software coding, testing and user documentation stages for various federal budgeting and scientific information client/server application related to environmental and health agencies. Prior to that, he conducted facilities assessment, industrial facility technical analysis and environmental impact statement for Resources Application, Inc. – where he also performed scientific analysis of federally regulated hazardous waste sites, including contamination migration and toxicity studies. Miku has also directed corporate leadership and teambuilding training, conservation education and training and recreation outdoors adventure services for Action Endeavor, Inc., a company that he founded, owned and operated.
- JD, George Mason University School of Law
- BS (Systems Engineering, Environmental Sciences), University of Virginia
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Chamber of Commerce in Japan
- Keizai Society of Northern California
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association
- Boy Scouts of America - Adult Leader
Recent News Coverage
- Pierce, Emmet. “Knowing the Twists and Turns IS Key to Navigating IP Course,” San Diego Business Journal, November 3, 2014.
- “Q&A With Procopio's Miku Mehta,” Law360, July 22, 2013.
- Ruiz, David. "EIP Opening in San Diego," Daily Journal, June 5, 2013.
- McIntyre, Andrew. “Mid-market activity from Japan saw an uptick in 2012,” Daily Journal, January 11, 2013.
- Frisch, Randy. “The Business of Law,” San Diego Business Journal, December 17, 2012.
- “Procopio adds team to Silicon Valley office,” Daily Journal, December 3, 2012.
- Sherwin, Doug. “Law Briefs,” The Daily Transcript, November 28, 2012.
- Lee, Kevin. “With hires, Procopio creates full-time Silicon Valley presence,” Daily Journal, November 27, 2012.
- Scurria, Andrew. “Procopio Hires 5 IP Pros to Plant Flag in Silicon Valley,” Law 360, November 27, 2012.
- “Procopio adds 5 Silicon Valley attorneys,” The Daily Transcript, November 26, 2012.
- “Procopio Continues to Grow – Expands in Silicon Valley," Legal Netlink Alliance, November 26, 2012.
- “Procopio Continues to Grow, Expands in Silicon Valley,” Procopio Press Release, November 26, 2012.
- Panelist. "Managing Risk in a Changing IP Landscape," Silicon Valley IP Forum, Palo Alto, CA, October 29, 2014.
- “Patent Prosecution Bootcamp: Navigating the AIA,” IP Counsel Café, Palo Alto, CA, April 4, 2014.
- "Strategic Use of Design Patents” at Ji2 Seminar in Osaka, Japan, May 23, 2013
- “Patent Drafting and Prosecution Issues and Tips Under the New AIA Rules” Webcast at ThomsonReuters, May 15, 2013
- Speaker on Panel “Patent Prosecution Bootcamp: Save Time, Save Money, Get it Right the First Time” at IP Counsel Café in Palo Alto, CA, April 25, 2013
- Moderator of Panel on “America Invents Act: Application Drafting Under AIA” at IP Counsel Café in Palo Alto, CA, April 25, 2013
- “Patentability Searches and Competitor Monitoring Strategies in View of AIA,” Webinar, Nationwide, April 17, 2013
- “Patent Research Strategies in view of New Patent Challenge Procedures Under AIA” Webcast webinar with TT Consultants, April 16, 2013.
- “America Invents Act: Final Rules on First-Inventor-to-File” at Japanese Patent Attorney Group - INFOPAT, Tokyo, Japan, February 24, 2013
- “The Patent Game: Changing Values in Changing Times,” Keizai Society, Palo Alto, CA, September 20, 2012.
- “Patent Prosecution Bootcamp,” IP Counsel Café, Palo Alto, CA, April 18-20, 2012.