Marie Burke Kenny represents employers in federal and state court litigation involving wage and hour, wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and unfair competition claims. Ms. Kenny also represents employers in mediation, arbitration and state and federal agency proceedings. She has extensive experience counseling employers regarding all aspects of the employment relationship and works with employers to develop strategies to prevent employment claims and create effective defenses to litigation. Ms. Kenny counsels employers regarding performance management, termination, contracts, workplace investigations, medical issues, leaves of absence, and employment policies and practices. She is also an adjunct professor of employment law for San Diego State University's Human Resources Certification Program.
- JD, University of San Diego School of Law, cum laude, 1995
- BS (Legal Studies), John Jay College of Criminal Justice, summa cum laude, 1991
- San Diego Business Journal “Women Who Mean Business” Award Finalist – 2004
- San Diego Metropolitan Magazine “40 under 40” – 2009
- Southern California Super Lawyers® – 2013-2014 (Employment & Labor)
- YWCA Tribute to Women & Industry Award – 2011
- American Bar Association – Labor and Employment Law Section
- Mother Attorney Mentoring Association of San Diego – Board of Directors
- National Conflict Resolution Center – Board of Directors (2002-2006)
- San Diego County Bar Association – Labor and Employment Law Section
- The State Bar of California – Labor and Employment Law Section
Recent News Coverage
- “Procopio Awarded Tier 1 Ranking for Employment Law - Management by U.S. News & World Report,” Procopio Press Release, November 11, 2014.
- “Southern California Super Lawyers,” Super Lawyers Magazine, Southern California 2014.
- Allen, Mike. “TIG to Get $1M in Lawsuite Settlement With Former Employees, Co.,” San Diego Business Journal, October 21, 2013.
- “San Diego Super Lawyers,” Super Lawyers Magazine, San Diego 2013.
- "Q&A With Procopio’s Marie Kenny,” Law360, March 18, 2013.
- “Employee Holiday Parties,” U-T TV, November 30, 2012.
- “SoundBite,” LawExchange International, October 1, 2012.
- Frisch, Randy. “The Business of Law,” San Diego Business Journal, August 13, 2012.
- “Procopio Partner Leads Welk Resort to Important Victory in Class Action Case,” Procopio Press Release, July 20, 2012.
- Chutchian, Maria. “Calif. Resort Beats Time-Share Owners’ Class Cert. Bid,” Law 360, July 16, 2012.
- "On the Move: March 2012," Carlsbad Business Journal, March 1, 2012.
- Frisch, Randy. "Luce Partners Find New Home at Procopio," San Diego Business Journal, February 13, 2012.
- Teichert, Erica. "Procopio Adds 3 Employment Pros From Luce Forward," Law 360, February 9, 2012.
- Sherwin, Doug. "Procopio Adds Employment Group From Luce," The Daily Transcript, February 9, 2012.
- “Procopio Expands Labor and Employment Practice with Addition of Three New Partners,” Procopio Press Release, February 6, 2012.
- “What You Need to Know About PAGA Claims,” San Diego County Bar Association, San Diego, CA, December 10, 2013.
- "Preventing Wage and Hour Liability in California,” Association of Corporate Counsel, San Diego, CA, November 20, 2013.
- “Bullying and Other Bad Behavior in the Workplace,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar, San Diego, CA, October 29, 2013.
- “Panel Discussion: Private Attorney General Act,” JAMS San Diego Resolution Center, San Diego, CA, June 18, 2013.
- “Unveiling the Complexities of California Wage and Hour Compliance,” Procopio Labor and Employment Seminar, San Diego, CA, October 30, 2012.
- “Answers to Your Key Employment Law Questions,” Procopio’s Employment Law Breakfast Bytes, Del Mar Heights, CA, July 24, 2012.
- “Answers to Your Key Employment Law Questions,” Procopio’s Employment Law Breakfast Bytes, San Diego, CA, July 17, 2012.
- “IP & Employment Matters - Common, Costly Mistakes for Start-up Entrepreneurs to Avoid,” Procopio and SV Forum, Palo Alto, CA, May 22, 2012.
Ms. Kenny regularly conducts workplace trainings for employers and speaks publicly on a wide variety of employment law issues. She has lectured or made presentations to the following organizations:
- State Bar of California Labor & Employment Section
- San Diego Employer Advisory Council
- Society for Human Resource Management
- San Diego County Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Employer Resources Institute
- California Continuing Education of the Bar
- International Public Management Association for Human Resources
- Association of Legal Administrators
- North County Personnel Association
- Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce
- Lorman Education Services
- The Council on Education Management
- Orange County Employer Advisory Council
- Construction Management Association of America
- Riverside/Temecula Employer Advisory Council
- American Subcontractors Association